Toon trio travel to Hong Kong for Jailbreak

Thought your taxi ride to Sinners was far? These three made it all the way to China on the cheap

Three students at Newcastle University have managed to travel to Hong Kong – without spending a penny.

The team won this year’s Newcastle Jailbreak, where participants have just 36 hours to get as far away from the Toon as possible without parting with any cash.

And they’ve raised over £1700 for Kidscan, the children’s cancer charity.

Kidscan, the children’s cancer research company

The winning team was made up of George Bullock, 18, from Croatia, Alexandra Wild, 19, from Ilkley in West Yorkshire, and Lizzy Stringer, 19, from Bury – and they managed to get to Hong Kong in only twenty hours.

After ringing a huge number of airlines they managed to get free standby tickets, where the traveller only has to pay the tax.  And they managed to raised the tax money through sponsorship and selling buns on their train to London.

They were even given a free trip across London from King’s Cross to Heathrow Airport, where they then boarded their 11-hour flight to China.

The fantastic trio on a plane

But they couldn’t spend much time in Hong Kong as they needed to return home to their studies. They were lucky enough to see Victoria Peak while they were there – a world-class panoramic viewing station.

The view from Victoria Peak

George says that he doesn’t remember much of the trip as the night before they left he was forced to pull an all-nighter to finish his politics essay.

He told The Tab:

“When I got on the flight, I had been awake for over 30 hours”.

Alexandra said:

“One thing that stood out to us was just how kind strangers were, one time we were on an escalator going to the tube platform, and someone just donated money to us.”

In total for Newcastle Jailbreak 8 teams made it a whopping total of 12,617 miles in 36 hours.

And if you want to donate to the fantastic team which made it to Hong Kong go to: http://www.justgiving.com/teams/geordieshoretoshore