Newcastle DOESN’T need feminism because…

It’s time to forget about feminism – it’s such a confused issue, and it’s creating too much tension between girls.

Last week Newcastle University launched a campaign “We need feminism because…”

Fair enough, if you’re feminist you get out there with your whiteboards and shout about lad culture and me getting my cleavage out in the CCTV booth. But what even is feminism anymore?

Half those statements did nothing to empower the female gender but reinforced stereotypes instead. “I need feminism because I can’t cook.” Surely that’s just reinforcing the stereotype that we women shouldn’t be let out of the kitchen?

I’m not saying that feminism is rubbish, or the campaign was crap, I’m just saying within 2014 does feminism really exist anymore?

Let’s be honest university isn’t the time we’re going to sit round with a cuppa and discuss gender politics, we’re going to be in the middle of tiger necking on with randomers after a few trebles and bombs.

And if feminism supports female empowerment, then what is the real issue? If a girl necks off, the feminists say she’s empowered. But at the same time she’s also “loose” and slutty. Feminism just doesn’t need a place within 2014.

Who even cares if they’re in a leotard? It’s called the beach at Waikiki anyway…

And hang on, half the people in that campaign were guys, are they feminist too? If a guy is feminist surely it’s taking away from the focus of the women?! Gender equality is an aim of feminism yes, but guys speaking on feminism detracts from the feminists themselves?

As for “I need feminism because women are horrible to other women” – surely feminism is increasing that not diminishing it?

Thanks to feminism a rift between girls that are “empowered” and girls being viewed as pure “sluts” has been born. If you’re “loose” and a “promo girl” you’re regarded as a slut, but what if the dancers of Waikiki actually want to wear those leotards and shorts? Can they not be feminist too?

If you’ve got it flaunt it…

Within 2014 I think it’s time for the whole un-shaved armpits and “they don’t get any sex” jokes to be put to bed along with feminism itself.

It doesn’t make any sense, and at this age, all we really care about is going out and getting mortal, and that doesn’t make you a non feminist or a feminist.

So let’s stop the slut bashing, put the whiteboards down and all finally admit that women are empowered within Newcastle University –  if girls decide to do the walk of shame through the quadrangle or spend the whole of CCTV tashin’ on then that’s their decision.

And if you don’t want to do that then you’re still exactly the same girl that does. So let’s all go to Empress and kiss and make up over some bombs because the whole feminism argument is getting boring and the backlash is long overdue.