The nomakeupselfie: We SHOULD be forsaking vanity in the name of charity

I support cancer awareness but first, let me take a selfie.

Facebook has been well and truly bombarded with selfies – something I hear you all groan at. Nothing new there right?

Except this time, girls have ditched their makeup and are donating to Cancer Research.

Cancer Research UK show their appreciation

Natural beaut

There are too many people out there complaining and questioning the point of the new craze, but tell me this – how many times have you seen cancer-related posts on your timelines today?

More to the point, for those of you who shun the idea, spare a thought for the cancer patients who suffer from hair loss or other symptoms that no woman (or man for that matter) should have to go through. How are we supposed to give them the courage and determination to power on and fight such an awful disease if we can’t even lose the makeup for the 30 seconds it takes to upload a picture?

My own #nomakeupselfie

It’s almost a shame that us girls feel we can’t leave the house without a scrap of makeup, in the grand scheme of things surely this is trivial. Yes it may just be a short phase such as the awful Nek Nominations but if it means that cancer charities receive a huge influx of donations and women begin to check themselves for breast cancer then who cares?

Movember doesn’t appear to directly relate to prostate cancer but that campaign didn’t see the same outrage that this seems to have caused.

Amen to that sister

It shouldn’t be a case of fretting over going bare-faced for the whole world to see; if this is what comes to mind when you are nominated then you have missed the point entirely.

This is a prime example of the power of social media; Cancer Research posted on Facebook explaining that this wasn’t even their campaign. Over 800,000 texts since Tuesday has helped to raise over £1m for Cancer Research UK; just a little fact for all of you out there moaning that it’s pointless.

Letting us know this campaign is definitely NOT pointless

Even the boys are getting in on the act