Student invasion: yet more student digs take over the Toon

Will it ever stop? Even more student accommodation pops up in the place of The Grand Hotel

If local residents weren’t already sick of students swarming the city, they probably will be now. 

First LQ and now The Grand hotel – even more student accommodation has taken over yet another Newcastle landmark.

Transformed: The Grand Hotel

The former grade II listed Grand Hotel in Newcastle city centre has been converted into student accommodation for Newcastle University by external construction group Interserve.

A whopping £2.3 million pounds has been used to transform the hotel into even more Newcastle University accommodation. The 112 year old hotel will now house 66 en-suite bedrooms and 11 kitchens and 3 lounges.

Newcastle University’s in house design team oversaw and completed the whole design of the completion, which included £100,000 worth of roof repairs. The original stair case and front facade of the Grand Hotel have been retained, so students living there will have to be on best behavior.

Snazzy

Accommodation changes for Newcastle University have been ongoing for the past two years with new high rise apartment blocks being built next to St James Park in the city centre.

New lifts and secondary stair cases have been added to the building. Dates for the opening of the building have not yet been released by Newcastle University. The transformation of the Grand Hotel replaces closing accommodation such as Richardson Road which has plans to be demolished later on this year.

Students: they’re everywhere

So, residents of Newcastle beware, the students are coming.