LQ nightclub to reopen as uni halls

New student digs could replace the famous LQ nightclub

You may have had drunken power naps there, but now you might be able to sleep there for good, as Liquid could be transformed into yet more student accommodation. 

Happier times

LQ, the club that hosted 99p shots and beat boxing will not be reopening for us all to get drunk on the cheap. Instead plans have been submitted to Newcastle City Council to transform the nightclub into a 305 bed student accommodation with cafes and bars.

Say goodbye to queues like this

So it’s farewell to those dodgy carpets, which will thankfully be replaced by three separate accommodation blocks spread around the Laing Art gallery.

While we might be one nightclub down, at least students won’t have far to stumble home after a night on the toon.

And since the toon’s brimming with them, the new 7, 9 and 11 story blocks split into 50 apartments will house a whopping 305 uni students.

The plans for construction, put forward by a Newcastle architect firm Magnetic, will be reviewed by Friday the 21st March, deciding Liquid’s fate.

The original building will be completely demolished, so if you want to reclaim any lost shoes, pound coins or hair extensions – go quick.