Confessions of a promo whore

My journey from timid fresher to “pull cam girl”.

With the promoter scene invading Newcastle more than ever, I self-confess how the world of promo transformed me from quiet fresher into annoying promoter.

Every day students eagerly look at their phones light up, only to find seconds later that it’s another invite to a club night. The excitement of a message transforms into an annoying notification that makes many students want to scream. I used to be one of them. But now, to my horror, I’m the one sending them. Over the space of a year I’ve become…A PROMO WHORE.

September 2012, I joined Newcastle University as an innocent, five ft two fresher being introduced to the joys of vodka trebles – complete with dodgy fringe.

One year and much hair bleach later, I am a self-confessed promo whore who spends more time in sloganed t shirts than I do in my own clothes. Gone are the Facebook statuses complaining about essays, replaced with telling you all to get down to the club tonight for an unbelievable night, every week.

The promoter bug has caught me and I find myself inviting friends, sending event links and being tagged in promo photos and videos daily. Even though I’m meant to be behind the photos, guaranteed I’m always in front of them.

But between the free vodka and nights spent raving away in the dj booth, I’m starting to get resented by friends for every Facebook invite I make. I’m pretty sure I’ll soon end up with just my sloganed t-shirt as my best friend, with everyone forgetting my actual name and knowing me just as “pull cam girl.”

Someone pass the vodka.