Hi Ho Hi Ho – it’s off to strike we go!

Were you one of the lucky ones to get the day off uni because of the strikes?

We were!

Some have chosen to spend their day of freedom lying in bed hungover, others have taken to the Robinson to catch up on those missed lectures, and we went to investigate what the strikes were really about!

As a student the most important things on my mind should be lectures, learning and getting a job – in reality it’s drinking, sleeping and what I’m going to wear to the next night out.

But for the lecturers these strikes meant more than just a day off.

Up and down the country people involved in all aspects of university life from lecturers to cleaners have taken action against the 1% pay rises they are being subject to. In comparison to spending power over the last 5 years this has led to people working at the university being 13% down on salary.

Although this may not seem a huge percentage cut, the difference is felt by the lower end earners at the university – with Castle Leazes staff going on strike… Good luck with that on Halloween!

Joan Harvey, Newcastle USU president suggest that university’s are “cheap-skating” lecturers and uni staff in order to “penny pinch” and save where possible.

However this saving comes at a cost! Although the strikes may not directly affect us as of yet, future students may bear the brunt of them. If lecturers and members of the uni continue to feel uncared for, the teaching quality will decrease, and the extra things lecturers do for us will be stopped.

We spoke to President Calum Mackenzie to get his view on the situation.

” If [the students] learning has been impended, that’s really a primary concern for us and I’d work with the Education Officer to try and map out a path through which we can either find a solution in Newcastle or find out what they are doing nationally to help resolve the problem.”

It seems that not all the lecturers have taken action and that really Newcastle Uni has got off lightly with just a few protesters dotted about campus. Other universities have had sit-ins and uni buildings locked to prevent any entry at all.

So however you want to view it, at least the Robbo is still open for us lucky ones who want to spend the day there!