Want to be a Legend but caged like a Tiger?

The Tab takes a look into the popular Wednesday sports night debate.

Whether its Tiger, Legends, TupTup or just a simple night in – there are plenty of options for your Wednesday evening.

Since the beginning of time (or the rise of sports socials) the university has put on a sports night on a Wednesday at a variety of different venues.

Things this year however have changed.

For the first time in five years the AU has decided to scrap an ‘official sports night’.

We spoke to AU officer Katie Rimmer who told us: ‘There are two main reasons for this, one is to disassociate sport and alcohol and the other is to eradicate the issue of difficult contracts that clubs often get in to with bars’.

The University is one of the first in the country to launch the new initiative.

A pot of money has been offered to clubs in order to discourage the affiliation between sports teams and bars.

Although The AU are keen to stop the association between sport and drinking, the link still strongly remains.

Socials and team nights out are just one of the many ways in which clubs are able to create bonds, friendships and more importantly ridiculous memories.

Where these sports teams decide to go however remains a very open choice.

Katie continued: “Wednesday nights are about celebrating or commiserating with your team and you all stay together. It’s nice if a lot of clubs are all in the same area and that matter whether thats Legends, Tiger or even Players’.

There is officially no obligation for sports teams to attend a certain night.

But that’s not what the promoters would have you believe…

Last week rumours surfaced that promoters were using ‘threatening behaviour’ as a tactic to drive traffic to their clubs. It was over-heard that some of the Cheerleaders were reduced to tears last Wednesday as a result of this.

We spoke to George Goldspink, Animal promoter, and can confirm that although Tiger is the ‘preferred’ venue there is no pressure on sports teams to attend that night.

In response to the speculation of threats George said:

“I can see how people may have heard these rumors and are taking it this way… It’s not a threat! If we find out you are taking the socials on to other nights then you’re sort of abusing the fact that you’ve got our loyalty scheme where we really look after you”.

All clubs night are feeling the strain of the no official sport night, but there are plenty of great offers. Like Tiger, Fraternity at Legends also offers a number of cards available to sports and committee members.

So whether you want to get tipsy in Tiger or loose at Legends – there’s a place for you all.