The Sun Won’t Come Out Tomorrow

Not at the NUSU anyway.

On Thursday 2nd May the Newcastle Student Council voted to ban The Sun and all papers with similar “Page 3 like” content from the Students’ Union.

This move brings Newcastle Uni into support of No More Page 3 movement, which was started when Lucy Holmes wrote a letter to the editor of The Sun. Since then it has snowballed to include individuals like Sabrina Mahfouz.

Newcastle joins other Uni’s such as Sheffield University, Edinburgh University and The LSE who have already moved to ban Page 3.

No more for NUSU.

The initial motion was put forward by Welfare Officer Esta Innes. She stated that:
“‘Page 3’ presents an unrealistic and potentially damaging picture of what women’s bodies should look like.
“The objectification of women is not ‘news’ and should not be part of a daily newspaper.”

A No More Page 3 for NUSU Facebook page was set up and has 128 likes, while the More Page 3 for NUSU group only managed a measly 11. Clearly we should have been forewarned!

Page 3 protestors demonstrating inequality

The Union has stopped selling the papers with immediate effect, so if you read The Sun or other similar papers like the Daily Star you’ll have to start buying your daily dose of news elsewhere.

It’s only a matter of time until an offended male starts a campaign to stop Heat being sold in Unions due to the ‘Torso of the Week’ feature.