Refs cope with stress by thinking they’re the best

Top football referees think they’re better than their colleagues, Northumbria study finds

Football referees cope with the pressures of the modern game by convincing themselves they are better than other refs.

Researchers at Northumbria University found refs in all standards of the beautiful game think they’re superior to their colleagues.

Fun fact, referee Howard Webb used to be a copper

Dr Melissa Anderson and Dr Sandy Wolfson surveyed 11 elite referees from the Premier League and 183 who officiate at county level.

Dr Anderson said: “Referees at all levels need to feel good about themselves.

“They believe that they are skilful and hardworking, and they can’t imagine that their fellow referees are superior to them.

“This helps them to cope with the considerable unrestrained, abusive comments about their competence, fitness and even their honesty from the crowd, players, managers and the media.”

Refs were asked to judge themselves on the skills they needed to do their jobs. Both the elite and county-level refs thought they were better than their colleagues. Older and more experienced refs though they were even better, the study found.

The study offered no word on how good BUCS refs think they are, but The Tab could offer researchers some guidance in this area…