Stan Calvert: Men’s Football

Newcastle snatched a late winner after being one down.

Newcastle 2-1 Northumbria

Newcastle snatched a dramatic last minute win over Northumbria as the men’s football claimed its first victory in Stan Calvert in recent years over their rivals. A cold and windy night under the lights at Longbenton played host as Posh kicked off in red shirts, red shorts and white socks; while Poly wore their traditional silver shirts with black shorts and black socks.

Newcastle pressed with a high intensity in the early stages and with Northumbria intent upon trying to play out from the back, a scrappy affair ensued. Despite Northumbria dominating the early exchanges, Newcastle grew into the half and managed to strike the woodwork from a corner with the Northumbria keeper coming for a cross which he did not collect, yet Newcastle failed to convert.

Newcastle had the best chance of the half through winger Robbie Goodier. Good work down the Newcastle left saw a ball drilled across the Northumbria eighteen yard line which came to Goodier in yards of space but he failed to keep his composure and blazed over.

The second half began with a bang, of an unforeseen kind. A lack of communication at the back saw Newcastle’s goalkeeper and captain, centre half Alex Auld, collide with no Northumbria players in the vicinity resulting in the latter being replaced having suffered a head injury.

Soon afterwards Northumbria took the lead despite the Newcastle back four screaming for an offside which was not forthcoming.

Newcastle responded well and began to dominate having a goal disallowed in farcical circumstances. Newcastle’s Jess Walklin was fouled and the ball fell to Jake Salisbury on the edge of the box. He curled the ball right footed into the top right hand corner of the Northumbria net however the referee pulled the play back.

From the resulting free kick, James Swainston struck the ball low into the base of the Northumbria wall and on the rebound drove the ball into the net to equalise; much to the referee’s relief.

Newcastle made a couple of substitutions in an attempt to combat this and sub Adam Ball managed to score against the run of play in the final minute of the match to secure another precious few points for Newcastle University’s Stan Calvert total.

Newcastle Skipper Alex Auld took to the social networking site Facebook to express his joy at the latest win in the Cup for Posh.

“Absolute class win, love Stan Calvert” the centre half said. He expressed his love of the rivalry by saying that Poly are the “best team opposition to do it against. Just f***ing love the football team”.

And with results like this, you’ll be hard pushed to find a Posh student who disagrees with him.