The Tab Tries: The Dam

From birds to llamas.

amsterdam tab tries

Before you finish Uni you should definitely get yourself to Amsterdam for a few days. With the direct ferry link even the lowest of budgets can manage it and if you’re feeling more extravagant then there’s plenty for you too.

Transport

DFDS runs sailings every day from North Tyneside (there’s a bus link from Central Station for £3.80. Taxis are about £13 from town) and 4 berth cabins start from £130 both ways if you travel mid week. There’s also regular flights if you’re not confident about your sea legs.

Scenery and an on-board disco.

Hotels

hotels.com or laterooms.com are always a safe bet. Budget wise the Hotel Isis can’t be faulted, basic two bed rooms from €40. More luxurious hotels in the city centre go from around €65 per night. There’s always a deal to be done, so don’t be shy about ringing, especially if you’re looking to book a large group.

The Sights

The Red Light District is an absolute must, definitely try to go at night when the windows are lit up and everything’s at its most surreal. Sex shows are expensive (€20 for the cheapest, €50 more mid range) so budget them in if you’re planning to go. There’s plenty of friendly bars with a good view of the main street.

Excellent souvenir.

The Zoo

Once you’ve finished looking at prostitutes and novel sex toys you’ll probably need to see some pygmy marmosets and cleanse your soul. For €20 you get access to the Zoo, aquarium, planetarium and lots of excellent gardens. There’s regular tours and shows, such as the baby animal cuddling run by staff.

The horrors of the red light district melt away…

If you’re heading to Amsterdam, chances are you’ll be looking for a coffee shop. There’s plenty of cafés which sell weed legally (and excellent milkshakes if you’re happy getting high on life.)

There’s tonnes of museums for everything from sex to resistance movements, all of which are well worth a look.

Watch Out For…

Added extras! If someone asks you if you want something, make sure you check if it costs extra. You don’t always get told about charges until it comes to paying.

Bag snatchers. Keep an eye on your wallets, bags and cameras. It may seem safe but that doesn’t guarantee that someone won’t have a go.

Dodgy souvenirs. Don’t buy slipper clogs, Amsterdam hats or penis bongs. It’ll just ensure we know how much of a knob you are.

Don’t do it!