Drinks Deal devastation

Council to review LQ’s licence following Paralytic Promotions

One of the biggest nightclubs in town could lose its licence for selling 59p drinks on their Friday night event, ‘Broke’.

LQ (formerly known as Liquid) advertised on Facebook they have the ‘cheapest and most insane drink deals in Newcastle’ with 59p J-bombs and shots and 99p doubles.

Concerns for these bargain prices were raised by a mother who had to retrieve her parayltic daughter from behind a fast food van after a night at the event.

The mother (who wishes not to be named) asked, “How did she manage to get so drunk? She is normally reasonably sensible when it comes to nights out.” The reply given was “that the nightclub was only charging 59p for each drink, and so she had drunk more of them as they were so cheap.”

The nightclub is now under investigation by Newcastle council to see if any licence breaches have been made by either; the irresponsible drinks promotion or by staff knowingly and willingly serving booze to someone clearly drunk.

Coun Henri Murison, cabinet member for quality of life, described the promotion as “disgraceful”.

Following on he told journalists: “The majority of premises in Newcastle sell alcohol at a sensible price and serve alcohol responsibly, however, only a minority fail in this regard”.

Chief Inspector Bruce Storey announced that the police will support the council in cracking down on these ridiculously low-price alcohol offers.

“Together with the city council we monitor drink promotions in the city centre very closely as we are well aware of the impact they can have on crime and disorder, as well and people’s health and safety,” He said.

It has already been announced that David Cameron is going to introduce legislation setting a minimum alcohol price of 40p a unit in England, stopping these irresponsible drinking promotions which put young people’s health in jeopardy.

Colin Shevills, director of Balance, the organisation behind the campaign for a minimum price for alcohol, said: “These kinds of events put young people at risk by encouraging them to drink alcohol to a point where they can no longer make good decisions.”

“Once intoxicated and vulnerable, these young men and women are carelessly ejected into the city during the early hours of the morning, when the majority of  violence and wounding offences take place.”

Chi Onwurah, MP for Newcastle Central, said: “Selling alcohol at ridiculously low prices whether it be by clubs or supermarkets, is irresponsible, especially in Newcastle where alcohol contributes significantly to many serious health and social issues.”THE Cheapest & Most Insane Drinks Deals In Newcastle – 99p DOUBLE Vodka & Mixer, 59p J-Bombs & Shots! Ludicrous.