Hidden Gems

A few great bars which the student population may have overlooked.

While finding a cheap pint in Newcastle isn’t exactly hard, it can be tempting to confine yourself to the The Hancock when enjoying a few casual drinks. Below are a few great bars which the student population may have overlooked.

Mr Lynch

11-17 Archbold Terrace, Jesmond

Opening Times: Mon-Sun, 11am ‘til late

Situated just a short walk from Jesmond metro station, ‘Mr.Lynch’ is a kooky cocktail bar from the owners of ‘Floritas.’ Like its sister branch, ‘Mr Lynch’ has maintained a 60s, retro vibe throughout, but in a more relaxed setting, which makes it the ideal place for a more sophisticated rendez-vous!

With a valid NUS card, a range of drinks can be purchased at a discount price, including a selection of cocktails for just £2.95. Furthermore, the bar offers live music, quiz nights and a tempting pub food menu.

BrewDog

16, Dean Street, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE1 1PG

Opening Times: Sun-Thurs 12pm-1am, Fri-Sat 12pm-2am

While a lot of bars in the city centre can appear dull and incredibly similar, ‘BrewDog’, offers a unique experience for beer enthusiasts. Although other branches of this company exist in some of the England major cities, ‘BrewDog’ Newcastle was only opened this year and has attempted to provide an alternative to the numerous ‘trebles bars’ which plague the city.

The venue is an ideal place for large groups of lads wanting to try something different with beer ranging from 4% to even 20%+ alcohol content!

No. 28

27-29 Nelson Street, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE1 5AN

Opening Times: Mon-Thurs, 12pm-10.30pm, Fri-Sun, 12pm-3am

‘No. 28’ can be quite difficult to locate; the bar is positioned on a rather dull corner of Grainger Market, but is just a short 2 minute walk from Monument metro station.

Although the exterior of the venue appears rather simplistic at a first glance, the staircase leads to a heavily decorated venue offering quality food, and more importantly, a diverse drink selection.

This hidden treasure of a bar boasts discounted drinks during weekday early evenings and we especially love its 3 am license. With live music, areas for private hire and a delicious Sunday lunch menu (perfect for hangovers) ‘No. 28’ is definitely worth a visit.