Police will increase safety patrols in Fallowfield tonight and across this weekend

High visibility and plain clothes patrols will be increased over the Halloween weekend

Following the murder of a 19-year-old MMU student on Wednesday morning, Greater Manchester Police has confirmed it will increase safety patrols around Fallowfield and other main student areas.

Additional officers will be patrolling between 7pm and 3am from tonight until Monday 31st October.

This morning another man was reportedly stabbed in a separate incident on Derby Road.

Detective Superintendent Neil Jones of Greater Manchester Police South Manchester Division said: “There will be more officers out on the streets in Fallowfield and the surrounding area over the coming days conducting high visibility and plain clothes patrols to gather intelligence and reassure the community.

“Greater Manchester Police operates a Student Safe Operation with our partners on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights where our officers patrol the student areas at night, and these efforts will ramp up and be given extra resources.

“I hope this goes someway to reassure the community and if anyone has any information about this incident or has any concerns, I urge you to speak to these officers. They are there to help and support you.”

Greater Manchester Police has launched an ongoing murder investigation after the fatal stabbing of a 19-year-old man in Fallowfield. DSI Neil Jones said: “The investigation is in its early stages, but I can assure you that our officers are working round the clock and carrying out extensive enquiries to establish the full circumstances surrounding this incident. We are actively pursuing leads and will relentlessly pursue the offender to ensure they are brought to justice.”

The force has asked anyone with information to contact them by calling 101 quoting 240 26/10/22. Photos, videos and CCTV can be uploaded via their Major Incident Public Portal. Information can be shared anonymously via the independent charity – Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

The University of Manchester said: “Our thoughts and deepest sympathies go out to all those affected by this terrible situation. While the young man who tragically died was not one of our students, we understand this will affect the entire student community across the city and any loss in such circumstances is devastating”

​​Students are being encouraged to download the SafeZone app. The University of Manchester said this “can give you extra peace of mind when you’re on campus or in University accommodation”.

The app is free to download, easy to use, and connects you with our Campus Support and Security team at the touch of a button if you are in an emergency or require first aid. You can also ‘check in’ and share your live location when walking home through a SafeZone area.”