University of Manchester is the eighth best in the UK in Times World University Rankings

UoM ranked 54th in the world

The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023 have been released today, revealing The University of Manchester ranking as the 54th uni in the world out of 1,799 universities. This is down from 50th in 2022.

According to this league table, UoM is the 8th best university in the UK, and places above universities such as Durham, Queen Mary’s, and St Andrews, which was ranked first in the UK by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide just a few weeks ago.

Manchester Metropolitan had a joint world ranking 601-800 and Salford had a joint world ranking of 801-1000.

The university received an overall score of  70.9 which is calculated using “13 carefully calibrated performance indicators that measure an institution’s performance across four areas: teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook” according to the table’s website.

Oxford University tops the table for the seventh year in a row, and Cambridge University comes in at third.

The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023 includes 1,799 universities across 104 countries and regions.