Manchester University is yet to pay its student ambassadors for work they did in June

‘This delay was completely out of our hands’

Manchester University describes its ambassadors as “highly valued”, however it has still not paid some of its student ambassadors for work they did in June.

A student who worked as an ambassador told the Manchester Tab that they worked on an open day on 18th of June and are still waiting to be paid.

Emails seen by The Manchester Tab show the student emailed the university to ask about the payment and the university responded that it was experiencing issues with its payroll and they should be paid on the next pay day.

The email told the ambassadors even though their paperwork was submitted correctly, the person “officially signing the paperwork was off”.

The email also doesn’t take responsibility for the delay, telling the unpaid students: “This delay was completely out of our hands and I can only apologise on behalf of the marketing team.”

However the student did not receive any money on their following pay day and then on the 19th of August a following email was sent stating that students would be paid in October.

At the time of publishing, the student The Manchester Tab spoke to is still yet to receive the salary they are owed almost four months later.

A spokesperson for Manchester University said ambassadors are “paid within eight weeks when initially employed” and then every four weeks after a time sheet is submitted.

Any student who has not been paid yet should contact their school or People and Organisational Development who will “investigate the situation as a matter of urgency”.

Other student ambassadors have shared similar experiences through Facebook group Manchester Student Group (MSG) and others have come forward to our Instagram.

A spokesperson from Manchester University told The Manchester Tab: “Student ambassadors are a highly valued part of our University. We pay them within eight weeks when initially employed due to system set up and right to work checks, and from then on by four weeks after a time sheet is submitted.

“Any student ambassador who has not been paid in this timeframe should contact their school, or People and Organisational Development and we will investigate the situation as a matter of urgency.”