Woman gang raped in ‘truly horrendous’ attack in Manchester Park

Police called the attack ‘random and sickening’

TW: Sexual violence and assault

A woman in her 20s was gang raped by a group of men in a Manchester park. Police are calling the attack “truly horrendous”.

At half-past midnight on Tuesday morning, the victim was walking home alone when she was attacked in Kirkup Gardens in Manchester’s Wythenshawe area.

Police called the attack “random and sickening”, and said police presence in the area has been increased.

So far there have been no arrests made and parts of the park are still taped off.

Chief Inspector Cara Charlesworth of Greater Manchester Police said: “A truly horrendous incident took place last night and we are supporting the victim at this awful time with our specialist officers.

“At this stage this appears to have been a random and sickening attack and our officers are working tirelessly to identify those responsible.

“In the meantime, we have increased our police presence in the area, and the public should feel reassured that if they have any concerns they can approach our officers directly.

“I appreciate it was the middle of the night and there won’t have been many witnesses to this attack, but if anyone has any information then I implore you to get in touch as every bit of detail at this stage has the potential to be crucial.”

Speaking to The Independent, Sarah Judge, a councillor for the area and lead for women on Manchester City Council, called the crime a “ferocious attack” and said it had left residents in shock.

If you have information, contact the police on 0161 856 6063 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.