The 20 Manchester outdoor bars and beer gardens you need to visit from 12th April

Pick your six, we’re heading to the pub – AT LAST!

Boris’ roadmap out of lockdown means on the 12th April we can finally get our hands on a pint which isn’t out of a Foster’s can.

Whilst Squirrel’s and Friendship remain Manc student favourites, why not try somewhere new?

This is The Tab Manchester’s roundup of the best outdoor pubs, bars and restaurants you can book for all those pornstar martinis you’ve been waiting to drink post-lockdown (and you don’t even need a substantial meal to go with it!).

1. Escape to Freight Island

Built in an old depot, Escape to Freight Island is set to be one of Manchester’s biggest hotspots this summer. Designed with social distancing in mind, their outdoor area and food market is opening seven days a week for cocktails, craft beers and a whole load of street food vendors, serving everything from brunch to burgers. Tables are going quickly so book now.

2. Crazy Pedro’s

This Manchester classic is opening up two outdoor terraces (one in the Northern Quarter and the other on Bridge Street) for all your Crazy Pedro’s essentials, from pizzas to frozen margheritas. Bookings are going fast, but there are still spots for bottomless pizza brunch until nine pm every day.

3. Hatch

Everyone’s favourite pop-up is back for all our food, drink and retail needs, everyday from the 12th. With food from all over the world and, more importantly, those dangerous two for £10 cocktails, Hatch is now open for bookings as well as walk-ins, so secure your table ASAP.

4. 256

Needing no introduction, 256 is a Fallowfield classic and they’re now open for bookings. Perfect for a day drink or an essential student night (looking at you £1 shots), we can’t wait to be back in that iconic beer garden – along with every other student on campus.

5. Ramona

Ramona have been giving us our click-and-collect pizza fix throughout lockdown and have just announced the opening of a beer garden at their NQ base. Complete with campfires, DJ sets and a margarita bar, Ramona is the place to be on the 14th. Bookings are now live and if you need an indication of how good the pizza is, their site crashed on launch day!

6. Grub Food Fair

Relocated to the Green Quarter, GRUB street food fair is opening its beer garden on 12th April for walk-ins and bookings. Tables are fully covered, meaning you’ll be sheltered from Manchester’s infamous spring showers, and they’re offering a load of deals on food and cocktails all week.

7. The Oast House

The Oast House courtyard is one of Manchester’s most popular outdoor venues, famous for its beers and Hanging Kebabs. With an all new spring menu ready to go, booking spaces are going quickly but there’s plenty of room fo walk-ins for your cocktail fix.

Credit: Jack Jolly

8. Dukes 92

This iconic Castlefield bar and grill has been a favourite summer spot for 30 years now and Dukes 92 is opening its outdoor waterside terrace on the 12th. Covered tables can be booked now with walk-ins also available everyday (Maanchester weather permitting…).

9. The Lawn Club

Set in the heart of Spinningfields, The Lawn Club is maximising its outside space, with bookings now available for their lawn houses, pods and terrace. With some of Manchester’s best cocktails and an atmosphere to match, you don’t want to miss it.

1o. Bay Horse Tavern

A Victorian pub set firmly in the 21st century, this Northern Quarter spot is high on the post-lockdown list. With Thomas Street now closed to vehicles, the Bay Horse Tavern can open for business on the pavement, with bookings available now.

11. 20 Stories

20 Stories rooftop terrace is famous across the city for its stunning 360 ° views of Manchester’s skyline. The perfect spot for a girls night out, the terrace restaurant is open for bookings for food from 12th April, with walk-ins if you just fancy a drink.

12. The Wharf

Overlooking the canal in Castlefield, The Wharf is your classic British pub with amazing food and a huge open terrace right on the bank. When the sun comes out, this secret spot is the place to be for a pint. Book here.

13. Brickhouse Social

A firm student favourite, Brickhouse Social are opening onto New Wakefield Street for beers and burgers from the 12th. And they’re currently doing a giveaway on their Instagram to win a £100 bar tab – what have you got to lose?

14. Dive Bar & Grill

A Northern Quarter fav, Dive is famous for its affordable drinks and DJ sets long into the night. Its terrace is fully covered and heated, which we all know is important for Manchester in April, and with a full spring/ summer cocktail menu in the works – we’ll be first in line.

15. Rudy’s

Having basically survived lockdown on their takeaway pizzas, we’re so happy Rudy’s are reopening their pizzerias at Ancoats and Peter Street. Their authentic Italian pizzas, straight from Naples, are heavenly and definitely beat a guilty hungover Domino’s.

16. The Botanist MediaCityUK

A ‘secret garden of food and drink’ set in the centre of MediaCityUK, The Botanist is opening its terrace for bookings and walk-ins from 15th April. From kebabs to bottomless brunches, along with gorgeous views of the Salford Quays, The Botanist has it all.

Credit: Jack Jolly

17. Impossible

Right in the centre of Peter Street, the Impossible bar boasts one of the most impressive beer terraces in Manchester. With bottomless brunches and cocktails all round, Impossible is taking booking enquiries now!

18. Nam

Opening its covered terrace on Cutting Room Square, Nam will be serving us amazing cocktails and traditional Vietnamese food with a twist – they’ve even got a Vietnamese roast dinner! This place makes a much needed change from the Chesters you get every Saturday after a night out, so go book now…

19. The Refuge by Volta

The Refuge is bringing its Dining Room outside and opening a secret Edwardian courtyard next month for bookings. The cocktails are incredible and their Sunday roasts are to die for, so if you can make your student loan stretch, it is definitely worth the visit.

20. Lock 91

Lock 91’s opening its Tavern in the Tunnel for drinks from Friday 16th We’ve been stalking their Instagram and have major cocktail envy, so will be heading to Deansgate for our fix ASAP.

A load of student staples like Courtyard and Friendship Inn are also opening just for walk-ins, as are plenty of other bars and restaurants especially in the Northern Quarter and the Gay Village. So don’t panic if you can’t get booked in anywhere for 12th – there’s plenty of Manchester to go around.