Coronavirus cases at MMU halls after parties of over 100 people

Part of Birley Halls is now in lockdown due to the outbreak

Students at Manchester Metropolitan University Halls are reportedly isolating due to a coronavirus outbreak, following parties which were held within the halls earlier this week.

This news comes days after The Tab Manchester reported how “MMU students host parties at halls despite local lockdown and new rule of six”. A neighbour living near MMU’s Birley Halls claimed that there were about 100 students keeping nearby residents awake.

The Manchester Tab received a tip that: “probably as a result of the party which took place recently one of the Halls in now on lockdown due to a dozen cases of Covid”.

Manchester Evening News have reported that “Students in two blocks of flats were initially told to isolate on Friday morning (September 18) after several people tested positive for Covid-19”.

Over the weekend there have been various TikToks made, by MMU students who say they are now having to isolate in their halls.

A spokesman for the university told Manchester Evening News, that they are “managing a handful of confirmed cases in flats at the Birley campus in Hulme”.

The spokesperson stated that: “a vast majority of the students have now been told they do not need to isolate following advice from Public Health England”.

MMU has been left managing a “handful of confirmed cases in the Vine blocks, which cover three flats” where the, “majority of confirmed coronavirus cases are in one flat in the Vine blocks” reported Manchester Evening News.

Despite a resident’s report of student’s previous behaviour earlier in the week: “It was like a rave, they were just p****d. The music was loud. They were drinking, hanging off each other”, Manchester Evening News has reported that students are now “beside themselves”.