Manchester Arena attacker’s brother jailed for 55 years

He has been found guilty of 22 counts of murder

The brother of the Manchester Arena bomber has been jailed for at least 55 years for the murders of 22 people.

Hashem Abedi, 23, helped his older brother, Salman Abedi to plan the act of terror that killed 22 and injured hundreds on the 22 May 2017.

Mr Justice Jeremy Baker told the court “the stark reality is, these were atrocious crimes. Large in scale, deadly in intent, appalling in their consequences. The despair and desolation of the bereaved families has been palpable.”

Abedi declined the chance to come into court to face the families of those he helped murder and did not appear for sentencing.

The families said, in a statement: “For us to have to sit in there and listen while he hid downstairs (in his cell) shows just what an absolute coward he is.”

Abedi was found guilty on 22 counts of murder, one count of attempted murder (those who were injured but survived the blast) and conspiring with his brother to cause an explosion.

The suicide bombing occurred in the foyer area of the Manchester Arena, during the concert of pop star Ariana Grande where over 14,000 people were in attendance.