These Manchester clubs and societies spent lockdown raising money for charity

A number of clubs have raised over £1,000 each for their chosen causes

A great number of Manchester clubs and societies have used their time in lockdown to make a positive difference. Thousands of miles have been run and thousands of pounds have been raised for some incredibly deserving causes.

In order to celebrate these amazing achievements, we have created a detailed list below of everything that these clubs have done, from cycling to Beirut to running a ‘Tour De Prem.’

University of Manchester Football Clubs

The men’s and women’s football clubs have recently teamed up to complete a ‘Tour De Prem’: over 10 days from 1-10th August, they collectively ran the distance between every Premier League football stadium (1,007 miles). Their plan was to raise £1,007, which would mean one pound per mile, for Show Racism The Red Card, which they have said uses football to educate against racism.

Conor O’Brien, Men’s Club Captain, said to The Manchester Tab: “With the Premier League restart highlighting the BLM movement, we felt as a club that we could do our own small part help raise awareness and some money to go towards Show Racism the Red Card.”

Elise Skelding, Women’s Club Captain, said to The Manchester Tab: “The BLM movement is far from over. We need to be fighting continuously to be able to live in a society where we all have equal opportunities.

“I would just like to say a massive thank you to everyone who has donated so far, your donations, time and support is invaluable!”

University of Manchester Men’s Hockey Club

MUMHC players and friends simultaneously ran 10km from around the country on Sunday, May 24th, when they would have been running through Manchester in the Purple Wave. The club ran over a total of 300km and raised over £1,000 for NHS Charities Together.

A spokesperson for MUMHC said to The Manchester Tab: “It was tough in isolation but any money was good and we were really pleased to break a grand given all the circumstances.”

MUMHC has also recently announced that they will be cycling to Beirut. The club will complete a cumulative 3000 miles raising money for the @impact.lebanon disaster relief fund.

University of Manchester Women’s Lacrosse Club

UMWLC collectively ran the length of the UK in support of Show Racism The Red Card, in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement. 41 runners completed the 1407km within 7 days from the 3rd-10th of June.

Katie Brennan, the club’s Fundraising Sec told The Manchester Tab: “We started off with the goal of raising £750 which I thought was optimistic at the time but now we have raised over £3,500!

“We are so grateful to everyone who has donated.”

View this post on Instagram

**important update** With current events and what has been going on in the news, UMWLC feels that it would be appropriate for this charity event to fundraise money supporting a black lives matter charity. As a club we believe that this is an incredibly relevant issue and we think that it is important to get involved and show our support by joining the movement to fight for freedom, liberation and justice. The charity that we have chosen to support is ‘Show Racism the Red Card’. @showracismtheredcard This is the UK’s leading anti-racism educational charity which provides workshops, training sessions, multimedia packages and more with the aim of tackling the problem of racism in the UK society. We understand that Mind and Christie are still incredibly important charities and therefore we are planing on holding another fundraising event later on in the year. Any donations that have already been made, will remain going to those charities, but any further donations for this charity event will be going to SRtRC. Thank you for any donations in advance 💜🥍 #bleedpurple #fundraiser #uomsport

A post shared by UoM Women’s Lacrosse Club (@uofmwomenslacrosse) on

University of Manchester RFC

The rugby union club raised £2,719 for Manchester Royal Infirmary with their Continental Challenge. They collectively ran or cycled between all the Six Nations stadiums and beyond, completing 3,200 miles within a week.

Harry Marples, a member of the club, said to The Manchester Tab: “This challenge was a great opportunity for the rugby club to work together during lockdown for a fantastic cause, and a massive thank you to all that took part.

“I’m looking forward to seeing the club showing the same level of commitment on the field and at the socials next year #bleedpurple”

View this post on Instagram

Day 7: Lands’ End to John o’Groats Our total 3,203.4 miles. Having hit our target by day 5, we decided to carry on pushing further to raise our total as high as possible. On top of our European tour to each of the stadiums in The Six Nations, we have also travelled the length of our own nation – 874 miles from Lands’ End to John o’Groats. This has been a monumental effort from 76 of our current and former members totalling 367 and a half hours of effort in the past 7 days. We have raised well over our £1000 target, falling just shy of the £2000 mark. The link is in our bio, so please carry on sharing and donating so we can double our original target. Over the weekend we have seen so many amazing performances for the Manchester Royal Infirmary : finishing this evening, with a tour of the north, Joe Marron smashed an 85 mile Manchester to Liverpool round trip and Nathan Frost completed a 40 mile ride. While we have highlighted our top performers and farthest distances, there have been so many boys behind the scenes chipping away at the total. Congratulations to you all. Finally, for the last time, swipe to see our top performers. @uomsport @mftcharity

A post shared by Uni of Manchester Rugby Union (@uomrugbyunion) on

Manchester Hindu Society NHSF

The Manchester Hindu Society collectively ran 500k over the month of June in order to raise money for the charity Sewa Day. In total, they raised over £500 for the charity.

University of Manchester Cycling Club

Over the month of July, UMCC challenged its members to ride 1200km by the end of the month. Members could either team up to reach the goal or ride the whole distance themselves. This was in support of the charity Maggie’s, which provides free cancer support and information in centres across the UK and online.

A spokesperson for UMCC said to The Manchester Tab: “As a club we logged over 10,000 km in the month. It’s been a challenge of both physical and mental toughness (especially on rainy days) but worth it to support Maggie’s, and get us all riding – even if we can’t all ride together in Manchester.”

University of Manchester Tyrants

Members of the Tyrants did 50 squats a day, every day, for 30 days from 29th June to 28th July in order to raise money for One Nation. One Nation is a UK-based relief and development charity which supports local and international relief projects to help improve lives. So far, the Tyrants have raised over £1,700.

Toby Mcmanus, the Club Captain, said to The Manchester Tab: “Over lockdown, we wanted to raise money for a good cause through a physical challenge which would also keep all our members active.

“One Nation was instrumental in helping us set up our donation link so that we could focus on getting maximum awareness about the Yemen crisis through our Instagram and Facebook page.”

View this post on Instagram

Today we begin our fundraising challenge in support of Yemen, in which past and present members of the Tyrants will be doing 50 squats a day to raise funding and awareness for the crisis To recap the situation – 24 million people in Yemen are in desperate need of aid, with famine tearing through a country still suffering through the devastation of war. Over 80% of the population do not have enough food or water to survive each passing day, with little medical facilities remaining to support those suffering. This fundraiser will look to provide 30000L water tanks and food packs to those in need Check our IG story daily to see updates of how we’re getting on Thanks for all the support so far, let’s get to work Link in bio #TyrantsAidYemen #PurpleandProud

A post shared by Manchester Tyrants (@manchestertyrants) on

University of Manchester Korfball

13 members of Korfball also completed the Purple Wave from home, running 10k each on the 24th May, in support of Manchester Mind. They raised over £1,000 for the charity, which supports better mental health for the people of Manchester.

View this post on Instagram

💜 Despite the cancellation of the Great Manchester Runs Purple Wave, UMKC came out in force (separately lol) to run the Great Manchester 10 K!! 🏃‍♀️ 🏃 13 dedicated Korfers completed the 10 K wherever they were in the UK to raise as much money as possible for Manchester Mind – A Charity which aims to support better mental health for people across Greater Manchester! 🧠Our target was £1000 and we have absolutely smashed this by raising £1051 as of far! 💲 💸 However, it's not too late to donate so please feel free to do so using the link below: 👇 https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/uomkorfball ☝️ #PurpleWave #GreatManchesterRun #KorfballKilometres #UKMCKillingIt 💯 💥 🙌

A post shared by UoM Korfball (@uomkorfball) on

University of Manchester Basketball Club

UMBC is holding a virtual Euro Tour, in which members of the club will track ‘any physical activities that involve distance’ that they do in order to complete a tour around the UK and Europe. Each week the club has different destinations and distances which they aim to cover. All proceeds will be donated to StreetGames, a UK based charity committed to harnessing the power of sport to create positive change in the lives of disadvantaged young people across the UK.

Tom Myers, the club’s Fundraising Sec, said to The Manchester Tab: “The Club chose to work with StreetGames UK as we feel that their philosophy of harnessing the power of sport to overcome social challenges and injustice for the underprivileged youth echoes greatly with UMBC’s core values on diversity and inclusivity.”

View this post on Instagram

HERE IT IS, OUR NEXT EVENT!! 💜⠀ ⠀ UMBC EURO TOUR FOR STREETGAMES! 🥳⠀ ⠀ So, what is it?🧐⠀ ⠀ This is a fundraising event held by UMBC from the 20th of July to the 20th of September. This event aims to keep everyone active by doing any physical activities that involves distance🏊🏻‍♀️🏂🚵🏻‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️All distance you covered will be tracked using an app called Strava on UMBC’s page (link in bio). ⠀ ⠀ The concept of this event is to complete a tour around UK and Europe virtually, in which every week we have different destinations and also distances. Our goal is to cover this distance as a club. 👊🏻⠀ ⠀ All proceeds collected 💰 will be donated to StreetGames, a UK based charity committed to harness the power of sport to create positive change in the lives of disadvantaged young people across UK. ⠀ ⠀ We hope everyone can participate and join the fun! 🥰⠀ ⠀ Every step counts! 💜

A post shared by UoM Basketball Club (@uombasketball) on

University of Manchester’s European Union of Women Society

European Union of Women UoM did a Walk for Women’s Aid, fundraising for The Pankhurst Trust. They encouraged all to either walk or run 5-10k and then donate to the cause over the month of June, in total they raised over £500.