Confirmed: All Manchester Uni lectures to be taught online in semester one

They are the first uni in the UK to confirm the move to online next year

The University of Manchester will move all semester one lectures online for the coming academic year, it has been confirmed.

In a comment to The Telegraph, a University spokesperson said the lecture environment “does not easily support spatial separation.”

This makes Manchester the first university in the UK to confirm a move to online teaching next academic year, after leaked plans to do so were published by The Manchester Tab.

“We understand that the current Covid-19 crisis has created real uncertainty for all our students,” read the full statement. “But, as a university, we are absolutely committed to delivering the highest-quality learning and student experience at Manchester whilst providing the most up-to-date information.

“As we anticipate social distancing measures will be in place for some time, we have taken the decision to conduct all lectures for Semester 1 online, as a lecture theatre environment does not easily support spatial separation.”