Exclusive: Leaked emails reveal UoM teaching could be online until January 2021

The emails confirm The University of Manchester’s strategies for 2020/21

Teaching at the University of Manchester may continue online until January 2021, according to leaked emails seen by The Manchester Tab.

The emails, sent to staff and current offer-holders by Vice-President Teaching, Learning and Students, Professor April McMahon, reveal the University anticipates lectures will remain online until the new year, however there may be “some activity on campus.”

In order to support social distancing, the University is planning to “welcome students back in a phased manner,” and is “following UK government guidance closely.”

The full email, seen by The Manchester Tab reads: “Confirmation of start dates for the academic year 2020/21.”

The email continues: “Everything will be in place so that you can continue with your studies.”

It goes on to explain certain courses, including clinical and Health Professional programmes, will have different start dates.

While the university anticipates lectures will remain online until January, there may be “some activity on campus.”

“You will still be able to engage with your programme effectively, and receive a really high quality learning experience, no matter what the circumstances,” the email reads.

The email also says students will be able to benefit from “extended and enhanced period of welcome and development activities,” including an opportunity to cover essential material missed during the last session, and workshops that “go beyond the curriculum”.

The University told The Manchester Tab further communication will be released on Monday.

They added: “As an institution, our students and staff remain our top priority, therefore we are following UK Government advice closely.”