Coronavirus hits University of Manchester halls

A flat in Wright Robinson Hall are in currently in self-isolation.

The University of Manchester’s Wright Robinson hall of accommodation has reported that a floor of up to 16 students are in self-isolation following contact with a flatmate that tested positive for COVID-19 after returning home on the 20th of March.

Wright Robinson Hall is situated on the university’s north campus, near Piccadilly Station in the city centre. There are 11 residential floors in the building. Each of the building’s floors are open to anyone already in the building through the staircase or lift entrances.

Residents of Wright Robinson Hall were sent the following email on the 23rd of March.

“We would like to inform you that () Floor are currently self-isolating after a flatmate tested positive for COVID-19 when they returned home on Friday 20 March.”

A Wright Robinson resident reported that the entire floor was professionally cleaned and that the situation has been “dealt with”.

The email continues.

“At this time we have no reason to believe that any other resident has been affected and we are recommending 14 day self-isolation for () Floor as a precaution and in line with NHS guidelines.  

Government & University guidance is also being followed and we would like to remind you to follow all Government guidance around social distancing and ask that you do not go to () Floor at this time.”

There are still students living on other floors in Wright Robinson at this time, with some unable to return home. 

This news comes after the notice that the university will not charge rent after the 21st of March if students leave their accommodations by the 31st.

Several students are therefore returning to halls from their homes to retrieve their belongings and avoid rent costs.