Image may contain: Neighborhood, Urban, Building, Bush, Nature, Yard, Tree, Park, Lawn, Vegetation, Outdoors, Human, Person, Canine, Animal, Dog, Mammal, Pet, Grass, Plant

UoM conducts random searches of student halls with drug sniffer dogs

Drugs were found every single time

The University of Manchester has used drugs sniffer dogs to search student halls nine times since 2017.

Drugs were found every time dogs were brought in, which was both for random searches and to follow up complaints.

Seven of the searches took place on the Fallowfield campus, the most recent being on 25th January 2019.

The types of drug found were not recorded. All drugs were seized and passed to University security who then passed them to Greater Manchester Police for disposal.

The information was disclosed to The Manchester Tab under the Freedom of Information Act. The Times previously reported the University of Manchester employed the same company that conducted drugs searches at Ed Sheeran's world tour.

The University told us it could not comment on individual cases, but said they do not target specific students or rooms with sniffer dogs.

They said dogs are only allowed to "sniff communal areas and down corridors" both during random searches and when responding to complaints from other residents.

If the dog detects the scent of drugs, the team will then conduct a closer inspection of that room or area.

The University said: "Only if drugs are found will this be reported to the University who will then act in accordance with the institution’s Conduct and Discipline of Students process".

The Times reported the University has paid £2,500 to two companies for assisting with drugs searches since 2017.

At least eight other British universities have hired private sniffer dogs or invited police sniffer dogs to conduct searches in recent years. Others are using carrying out routine swab tests for cocaine around campus.

One student was suspended from the University last year after hundreds of ecstasy and 2C-B pills were discovered in his Owen's Park bedroom. The University of Manchester Students' Union now supplies drugs testing kits for £2.50.

Greater Manchester Police were unable to comment due to the historical nature of the incidents.