Image may contain: Sunglasses, Accessory, Accessories, Offroad, Transportation, Vehicle, Rally, Face, Parade, People, Crowd, Apparel, Clothing, Person, Human

Pro-Palestine and pro-Israel student protesters come face-to-face at Eurovision screening

Eurovision fans were joined by a protest in Salford

Tensions were running high outside the BBC Media City in Salford on Saturday as two demonstrating groups came face-to-face over Eurovision 2019.

Eurovision fans queuing to watch this year's 'Eurovision: You Decide' show were joined by protesters from the Manchester Palestine Action group and counter-demonstrators from the North West Friends of Israel.

The groups brought opposing messages of support and criticism of Eurovision 2019, which reflected a growing discontent about the decision to host this year's show in Tel Aviv, Israel.

Many of the protesters in support of Palestine cited the on-going conflict as the reason for their action.

Neil Duffield, who came with a homemade sign that stated 'You can't kill the truth', said: "The Israeli government is oppressing the Palestinian people.

"I think the only way to stop that is for the international community to exert as much pressure on the Israeli government as possible and one of those ways is a cultural boycott of Israel."

Image may contain: Banner, Symbol, Flag, Text, Person, Human, Clothing, Apparel

Protester Nick Duffield holding his sign

Several prominent British figures, including Vivienne Westwood and Peter Gabriel, have also called on the BBC to move the show out of Israel in light of the political situation.

Jaz, who joined the protest a little later on, said: "Israel doesn’t need another reason to have attention drawn away from what they’re actually doing in the media, by boycotting it, it will give people a reason to understand why it’s being boycotted.

"Protest is on of the best ways to draw attention to people who aren’t normally interested in it and don’t read about this sort of stuff", she added.

Image may contain: Text, Crowd, Hat, Flag, Symbol, Person, Human, Clothing, Apparel

Manchester Palestine Action protester holds flag

Manchester Palestine Action group weren’t alone, however. They were joined by a counter-demonstration by North West Friends of Israel, who came to show their support for Israel.

Mark Mills, who joined the counter-protest, said: "Eurovision has been weaponised by them, obviously if you’re pro-Israel you think it’s the greatest thing ever.

"What people don’t appreciate is that you only see a snippet of information on the news and Israel, like America, Canada, Australia, it’s almost like an immigrant society, with natives as well, so Jews have always been there, since time immemorial."

Both groups carried microphones and speakers with them, which they used to shout messages to each other and the crowds. At times, the debate became visibly heated and BBC Media City security guards were obliged to intervene.

Image may contain: Indoors, Interior Design, People, Crowd, Person, Human

BBC Media City security guard intervenes between speakers

Max Jacobs, another member of the counter-demo, said he thinks the debate around Eurovision is part of a much larger and misunderstood picture.

"I think it’s deeper than the whole Judaism thing", he said. "I think it’s just basic human right. Their side don’t really know what it’s like, I was there for a month in summer and I witnessed first-hand both sides living together in peaceful state.

"Of course, there’s going to be conflict wherever you go but no more than in Russia or in Azerbaijan where they had the contest two years ago.

"I think a large sum of this is just ignorance and a lack of knowledge, and that’s why we are here to try and educate", he added.

Speaking to The Manchester Tab, Ben Freeman said on behalf of Manchester Jewish Society that: "Manchester Jewish Society rejects BDS (Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions) in all its forms, including the suggested boycott of the 2019 Eurovision song contest.

"Those suggesting boycott against the only Jewish state, on the basis of human rights violations, were silent on the matter when Eurovision was held in Russia and Azerbaijan, both having extensive records of proven human rights violations, revealing a unique and concerning double standard.

"BDS seeks destructive rather than constructive solutions, and the proposed boycott against a song contest which strives to bring different people together to celebrate diversity, is demonstrative of that fact."

The BBC has dismissed calls for a cultural boycott of Israel and said in a statement: "Eurovision not a political event and does not endorse any political message or campaign.

"We do not believe it would be appropriate to use the BBC's participation for political reasons. Because of this we will be taking part in this year's event."

Eurovision 2019 will air on 18 May.