There’s a free art exhibition at The Whitworth showcasing art from Manchester’s homeless shelters

The event is organised by Love for the Streets

Love for the Streets is collaborating with The Whitworth Gallery on Saturday, 10th March to bring you a free art exhibtion. The exhibition will showcase art from homeless shelters, as well as University of Manchester students.

The event will kick off Homelessness Awareness Week in Manchester, "Love for the Streets, through events and content, unites students from UoM, MMU, MSOA, BIMM and Salford University to spread this message, then uses this increased awareness and engagement to mobilise young people to volunteer for local homeless charities.

The current focus of the campaign is the Manchester Homeless Awareness Week (10th March -17th March), a series of 5 engaging events of art, music, and talks from and about the homeless community.
"

The exhibition is just one of many great events that will help raise awareness for the cause of homelessness, with music, talks and other social events taking place throughout the week.

Image may contain: Car Seat, Bag, Pants, Jeans, Denim, Clothing, Wall

Saturday's event aims to showcase the issue of homelessness through art, from students at the Manchester School of Art, David Tovey, a formerly homeless artist and activist who has been featured at the Tate Modern and founded the first One Festival of Homeless Arts, and from homeless shelters, Mustard Tree and Booth Centre.

"The homeless participants who took part in the project and the students who were involved in the workshops will be at the Whitworth Art gallery to celebrate the work produced. The event will include a large display of visual art, interactive workshops, live music and films showcasing the work of the local charities.

The workshops were funded by the University of Manchester Student Union the Faculty of Science and Engineering, Manchester School of Art and G.F

Check out the full week's itinerary below.

March 10th: Love for the Streets x The Whitworth Exhibition

March 12th: Let’s Talk Homelessness: Real Stories

March 14th: Let’s Talk Homelessness: There’s More Than One Way To Make A Difference

March 15th: St Paddy’s Day Soundclash.

March 17th: Love for the Streets Presents: Owens Park Takeover

Image may contain: Furniture, Chair, Person, People, Human