Students evacuated from Victoria Park and surrounding areas due to ‘police operation’

It’s unclear whether this is directly related to the incident with a ‘suspicious package’ found on the University of Manchester’s Oxford Road campus

Following a number of recent evacuations, the University of Manchester accommodation office announced today in an email that Fallowfield campuses will be hosting students and local residents who have “been asked to leave their homes”.

There is currently no indication of how long these people will have to be out of their homes for, with the University of Manchester citing a “police operation” as the reason for the move.

It was reported yesterday that a large number of police officers were interviewing students in and around Victoria Park regarding a suitcase, although this has not been confirmed.

Police were heavily present along curry mile this morning, with several streets cordoned off. It’s also been reported that a potential investigation of a car in the area could be linked to the MEN Arena attacks, in which several residents of the surrounding area were also evacuated.

Chloe, a first year who lives in Victoria Park reported that several people had been asked to leave, and there were reports of an evacuation at the Ronald McDonald family accommodation at the nearby children’s hospital.

It’s unclear whether today’s evacuations are connected with the evacuation of Bridgeford Street following the discovery of a “suspicious package” yesterday afternoon.

Updates to follow.