A Muslim Manchester student was spat on today in a racially motivated attack

Someone was heard shouting ‘ban Muslims’ in the city centre

A Muslim student from Manchester was spat on in a racially motivated attack after last night’s bombing.

This morning, at around 10AM, a stranger approached the woman outside the uni on Oxford Road and spat on her. A friend of the victim told The Tab: “She was really upset and shook up.”

The student, who asked to remain anonymous, took a taxi straight home.

Earlier today we published a story about how Manchester’s acts of kindness and generosity prove how united our city is, but sadly, not everyone is so welcoming.

It hasn’t even been 24 hours, and there’s already been an attack on a mosque in Oldham and a man was heard shouting “ban Muslims” outside Harvey Nichols at 10:30 this morning.

And end around here, at Brook street.

“These kind of attacks aim to disrupt and divide our society,” said The University of Manchester in a statement today, “An incident that attempts to divide us will only make us stronger.”

They added: “We have faith in the strength and resilience of the people of Manchester, and implore students and the wider community to come together at this difficult time.”

They believe, like many, we’re “a community who will not be divided”. They said: “With over £200,000 raised and the hundreds that have queued at the blood banks show that no matter what – #WeStandTogether.

“For those individuals who are betraying these Manchester values, turning on their fellow citizens and committing hate crimes; we stand in solidarity with any victims of these incidents.”

Students who have been affected by any of these events can contact the University of Manchester Advice Service, which is also a third party hate crime reporting centre.

US officials have identified the suicide bomber from last night as 23-year-old Salman Abedi.