Here’s everything you can do to help after last night’s attack in Manchester

As said by our Mayor, ‘we are grieving today, but we are strong’

Last night, a suicide bomber killed 22 people and injured 59 at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester Arena.

Chief Constable Ian Hopkins called it “the most horrific incident [we have] faced”, but the people of Manchester came together by opening their homes, giving free taxi rides, donating money and blood and generally showing how united we are.

Whether it’s attending a vigil or helping find missing concert-goers, here’s what you can do to help today:

Donate blood

There’s been a plea for blood after last night’s attack, and they’re looking for O type blood in particular. However, there isn’t a shortage and the NHS Blood and Transplant Service is asking people NOT to attend blood banks today unless they have a pre-arranged appointment. Instead, you should arrange one for a later date.

Mike Stredder, director of blood donation at NHSBT, said: “We are responding to last night’s events in Manchester. Our thoughts are with the people affected by this tragic incident.

“We do have all the blood required for hospital patients at the present time, however, we are always keen to encourage new donors to register and existing donors to book an appointment.

“If you have an appointment to give blood in the next few days, please do your best to keep it, particularly if you are blood group O negative.”

Here’s medical centres in Manchester that you can go to donate at:

. Norfolk House Donor Centre

. 7 Brown Street, Manchester, Lancs, M2 1DA

. Manchester, Plymouth Grove Donor Centre

. Nhsbt, Manchester Centre, Plymouth Grove, Manchester, M13 9LL

If you type in your location into this link, you can find your nearest centre accepting donations in the coming days. To find out the latest opening hours and to book an appointment call 0300 123 23 23.

Attend one of the vigils

Manchester University are holding a vigil today at 5.30PM to pay respect for those involved. It will take place outside University Place. You can meet here, make your own banners and head to the vigil at 6pm outside Albert Square, Manchester Town Hall.

They said: “This event has been made in order to allow students and citizens of Manchester an opportunity to pay their respects given the devastating news that so many are waking up to. Our hearts go out to the victims, families and those who have been affected.

“For anyone who has been affected by this news, our Advice Service, open to all students, can be located on the first floor of the Students’ Union. ”

Help friends and family get in contact with the people still not found

The hashtag #MissinginManchester has been used to help family and friends find people at the concert who have not yet been in contact. Keep an eye out for the hashtag and retweet as much as possible. Manchester Evening News are doing everything they can to help, and are doing updates about missing people.

Alternatively, emergency numbers for anyone who is concerned for loved ones who may not have returned home are 0161 856 9400, 0161 856 9900 or 0800 096 0095.

Greater Manchester Police are also appealing for any images or footage from last night that you believe can assist them. Please upload these to ukpoliceimageappeal.co.uk or ukpoliceimageappeal.com.

Donate to MEN’s fundraising page

The MEN has set up a fundraising page to help support the families of the Manchester terror attack victims

How the university is helping

As well as organising tonight’s vigil at University Place, Manchester has sent an email out to all students about last night’s attack.

It said: “We are all deeply shocked by the tragic news from the Manchester Arena. Our thoughts go out to the families and friends of all those who lost loved ones and to everyone who has been injured, or affected in other ways. We very much hope that you and your family and friends are safe.”

They have urged it is important for normal activities and services to be maintained, so exams will be going ahead as planned. However, if you were unable attend an exam because of last night’s tragic incident, you will be able to submit exceptional factors.

This will include situations where travel in to Manchester has been impossible owing to disruption of the transport system. Further information about the exceptional factors process can be found at http://www.mmu.ac.uk/students/.

If you have any questions or concerns about examinations or any other aspect of your course, please contact a Student Hub or one of our Student Support Officers. If you have been affected by what has happened and you need help and support, please contact the University’s counselling services on 0161 247 3493 or http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/counselling/crisis/.