University of Manchester is offering bursaries to Master’s students

They are offering 100 students payments of up to £3k

The University of Manchester is offering bursaries of £3,000 to 100 UK/EU students that will be starting a master’s course in September this year.

It will be paid in three cash instalments for one year courses, or four smaller instalments over two years if it is a part time course.

Obviously there will be a lot more applications for their 100 bursaries, so meeting the criteria does not guarantee you the bursary.

Eligibility for the bursaries is as follows:

  • Eligible courses include LLM, MA, MEd, MBA, MEnt, MPhil, MRes, MSc, MusM.
  • Courses can be studied full-time for one or two academic years or part-time for a maximum of two academic years.
  • You must be a home student paying home level tuition fees, and have been resident in the UK for at least three years prior to starting their undergraduate course for a purpose other than study.
  • You must not hold a master’s qualification or higher.
  • You must have commenced your undergraduate course since September 2012.
  • Intercalating medical students taking a master’s course are eligible to apply. Medical students should note that if they plan to intercalate and take a master’s course between Years 2 and 3, they will not be eligible for UG loans in Year 3. However, there will be no interruption to funding if they intercalate between Years 3 and 4, and they will be eligible for the postgraduate loan.

In addition, you have to meet one of these criteria to be considered:

  • You have been in public care for a minimum of three months since the age of 11.
  • You are from a low-income background evidenced by receipt of maintenance grant during undergraduate studies. Consideration will be given to the number of years that a maintenance grant was received and the amount awarded.
  • You come from one of the most deprived areas of the UK as indicated by ACORN and LPN data. This is based on home postcode before attending university.
  • You are/were in receipt of a Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) as part of their undergraduate studies or is receiving/received support from their undergraduate university’s disability office.

It does not count for postgraduates, PhDs or those wishing to defer for a year.

How do I apply?

If you meet the criteria, you have to apply by Wednesday 31st May 2017, even if you haven’t been offered a place on the course yet.

Use the online form on the website. You may also be asked to submit other supporting documents by 5th June to prove eligibility.