UoM and Man Met study concludes that pensioners are highly sexually active

Prepare to look at your grandparents in a whole new light

Hide Images

Elderly people love sex well into their 80’s, and this report implores us to get used to it.

Experts (or should we say Sexperts) at UoM and Manchester Met reveal that quarter of men, and 10 percent of women aged 85 still enjoy regular and healthy sex. With this study, the authors have urged doctors and health workers to not neglect elderly people’s sexual health.

The study which was led by Dr David Lee from the University of Manchester and Professor Josie Tetley from Manchester Metropolitan, found that people over 80 were more likely to share the sexual likes as their partner than those aged 50 to 79.

The study also found that post-menopausal women find it difficult to become aroused between 50 and 79, but often have a higher sex drive once they hit 80.

Dr David Lee says ‘older people have a right to good sexual health care’
The report concludes that elderly people often have extremely active love lives and remain incredibly intimate – but their access to decent sexual health care and support lets them down in this way.

From this, we are urged to have conversations around sex and older people need to be ‘normalised’ to battle stereotypes and misconceptions.
“Older people have a right to good sexual health care and should be able to easily access joined up services to help them meet that goal.

“Health professionals need to proactively engage with older people to better manage problems that impact on both individuals and couples sexual health and function.

“By normalising conversations around sex and older people, health professionals can help to counter stereotypes and misconceptions around sex in later life, which will ultimately improve public health.”