Sankeys has officially shut with immediate effect

The legendary Manchester nightclub has shut amid reports the building has been sold and will be turned into flats

The nightclub that has attracted tens of thousands of students over the years has officially closed with immediate effect, to give way to the construction of flats under new owners.

Staff are believed to have been told today alongside the artists that have been scheduled to perform this coming weekend.  It will have come to no shock to some that negotiations with the property management agents of Beehive Mill (the certified name for Sankeys nightclub) for some time with regards to the lease for Sankeys.

Tony Hill, managing director of the club’s owner Radius Security, said, “it has become apparent that the reason that they haven’t issued a new agreement is due to the fact that the entire building has been sold to a residential property developer who intends to turn it into apartments.”

“With that, it is with great regret that we must close Sankeys with immediate effect.”

It is a great shame for some, as Sankeys frequently brought some of best house, tech and bassline artists that have come into the music scene in the last couple of years including Tom Zenetti, Julio Bashmore and Burgaboy.

The report that Sankeys nightclub is closed has only surfaced a few hours ago with the workers and promoters being told that there is no potential future work for the company.

Hopefully, further details regarding its closure will come to light.

The Tab Manchester 🐝

last seen today at 08:27

Get Manchester news straight to your WhatsApp

What’s happening with Antwerp this week, who got busted in Tower and who’s wearing what in Fallowfield. Straight into your DMs. 😘