‘Light up Fallowfield’ protest art instillation to make Fallowfield safer

‘While an array of Christmas lights are turned on this winter, we continue to live in the dark reality of not feeling safe to walk alone at night’

Yesterday, students took to the streets to #LightUp Fallowfield in light of increased sexual crime and violence in the area. The campaign, organised by Fine Art and Art History third years Jess Mallard and Zuzanna Niska, set out to create a Christmas lights switch on with a twist on Ladybarn Lane, Fallowfield.

They worked closely with Man Met and UoM student unions to organise a mass art instillation composed of fairy lights and torches. The campaign works to highlight the anxiety felt by many students walking through the area at night.

‘While an array of Christmas lights are turned on this winter, we continue to live in the dark reality of not feeling safe to walk alone at night. Come to the footpath off Ladybarn Lane [behind Sainsburys] at 7pm to switch on some lights of our own, to highlight our fears in solidarity with each other. Armed with fairy lights, torches or even just your phone, to be part of this protest art installation and #LightUp Fallowfield together.’

The issue of sexual assault, rape, harassment and mugging is an increasing problem in Fallowfield, with a 37 per cent rise in reports of sexual offences in recent years, and last month alone 33 recorded muggings.

The reality is for many students that walking home alone at night is risky, with both male and female students falling victim to sexual crimes in Fallowfield. While you’d expect most of these crimes to be happening to students under the influence, or late at night, the shorter daylight hours in winter also mean that many students face a lone walk home from uni or work in the dark.

Until the problem is addressed, it’s important to remember to stick to well lit areas, and avoid being out alone.