Manchester Metropolitan is one of the greenest universities in the UK

MMU has been in the top three since 2013

Manchester Metropolitan has yet again been ranked as one of the greenest universities in the UK.

Being ranked third out of all universities in the UK by the People and Planet table 2016, Manchester Met has maintained a top three position since 2013 which is a testament to its consistent drive to maintain sustainability across the University.

Vice-Chancellor Professor Malcolm Press of People and Planet said “We are delighted to have once again maintained our position in the top tier of UK universities for commitment to sustainability and the green agenda.

“The People and Planet University League ranking is a wonderful affirmation of the hard work that goes into ensuring that we embed sustainability across everything we do at Manchester Metropolitan: from LED lighting to University-wide recycling; self-cleaning glass to combined heat and power networks in our buildings.

“We also encourage our students to think globally and to tackle the major environmental issues that the world currently faces across the breadth of our courses.”The People and Planet University League is the only independent league table of UK Universities ranked by their environmental and ethical performances”.

The People and Planet University League is the only independent league table of UK Universities ranked by their environmental and ethical performances. People and Planet rank each university by assessing a wide range of information including workers’ rights and ethical investment, sustainability education and engagement, waste and recycling and carbon management.

Manchester Met was assessed as 100 per cent in Environmental Policy, Sustainability Staff, Auditing and Environmental Management Systems, and Education – something all students of MMU should certainly be proud of, considering how in 2007 success in environmental sustainability and ethical performance was relatively low after being ranked as 91st in the People and Planet League.

The shooting occurred a few roads away from these man met halls

By 2013, however, MMU made its comeuppance when People and Planet ranked it 1st in the UK. The University has since become a leading and award-winning sustainable institution, with its policies reflecting the wishes of its students. Manchester Met has even introduced new schemes such as ‘Give It, Don’t Bin It’ which helps students to donate leftover food, clothing or books when they move out of student accommodation.

The University then achieved international recognition in the Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges’ Green Gown Awards, picking up the Continuous Improvement: Institutional Change for Sustainability award, and has just been placed second for Sustainability Reporting in the 2016 awards – a successful year for Manchester Metropolitan.

Hannah Smith, People and Planet Co-director Research and Campaigns, said: “Manchester Metropolitan University has once again retained its top three status in the People and Planet University League, an achievement to celebrate proudly”.

If you would like to find out more about environmental sustainability at Manchester Metropolitan, visit the website and register for the monthly ‘Let’s Make a Sustainable Planet’ newsfeed.