Jozef K on Fallowfield: ‘It always has good parties’

We interviewed the Ibiza Resident DJ about his work and our beloved student home

Ask any Manchester student about life in Fallowfield and they’ll always have (mostly) positive things to say. Whether it’s the bars, takeaways or house parties, it’s the undisputed prime place to live for students in Manchester.

But what do the DJs who play here think of it? We sat down with the Ibiza Resident Jozef K, who is set to DJ at 256 this week, to get some tips from a DJ who made it big at a young age and still remains loyal to Fallowfield.

The Tab: Hi Jozef. You’ve got gigs lined up in Berlin, Australia, China and even Singapore next year. What made you come back to Fallowfield?

Jozef K: “I was hit up by other Manchester promoters, however I’ve always played a couple [of] shows a year in 256 and I’m loyal! Always been good parties so felt rude to go elsewhere, plus I’ve lived in Fallowfield for three years so it’s got history for me.”

How would you describe your music to someone who has never been to, or seen, one of your sets before?

“Old school house, played in a way to achieve maximum dance floor atmosphere.”

How did it feel to break through as a DJ at Sankeys when you were just 19?

“Surreal. I saw guys at the age of 30 plus trying to get where I was, but I worked tirelessly on my skills and mainly at my record collection and I think that stood me out. I was buying shit no-one else would be, especially not at 19.”

Is that the point you realised you had ‘made it’?

“Depends on your definition of ‘made it’. Right now I’m far from where I plan to be. My original goal was always to live off music and I do that so I guess when I went full time, age 23, was when I realised I’d made it, kind of.”

What three tips would you give to an up-and-coming DJ in terms of making a breakthrough with their music?

“Listen to music all day, everyday, any genre, so when you are in the studio you have tons of inspiration and aren’t making the same shit as everyone else. Though really if you are being told this, it might be too late!

“Enjoy studio sessions, treat that as pleasure time, not laborious.

“Be as honest as possible when making records, don’t try and do it for certain labels, just make from the heart and you’ll produce your best work.”

You’re playing at 256 on Saturday. How do your sets in Fallowfield compare to your ones abroad, such as your Ibiza residency? Apart from the grim weather of course.

“Not sure really. I still have the same sound fundamentals wherever I am playing, I just try to see what direction the crowd are feeling on the night. I play by touch and let destiny dictate what it requires.”

Finally, what is your favourite way to relax after a big set?

“Getting absolutely twatted and diving in the sea. Well apart from the time I got all my shit robbed, but it was my fault so no complaints.”