What GCSE history questions will look like for the next generation

2016: the year everyone will wish they could forget

The year we all realised we haven’t come quite as far as we thought.

It seems like the second everyone finished celebrating the New Year and hypothesising about a  “new year, new me”, the year had already turned to shit. Little were we to know there would be so little to truly celebrate. Whether it be outrageous election results or terrorist attacks, things just don’t seem to add up. In a 21st century “progressive” world we are witnessing more and more events that reflect those experienced in our grandparents’ time. How can we go from making history with the first black president to voting in an unashamedly racist, sexist and homophobic individual?

Here’s an insight into some GCSE exam questions future generations may be faced with:

1) Evaluate the demise of the Western world in 2016, give at least two examples

Where did it all begin? I think we can all think of at least two…

Source A: Adapted from a cartoon originally published in Harper’s Weekly on October 21, 1871.

2) To what extent did Source A predict how badly President Trump would drive the world economy into the ground in the years following his election? Use Source A and your own knowledge to explain your answer.

He used to be the millionaire figurehead of The Apprentice US and has no political experience whatsoever prior to running for presidency.

3) Using examples, explore how Donald Trump manipulated the fear of ISIS to gain support

Thirty percent of republicans want to bomb Agrabah – the fictional city in Aladdin. 26 per cent of Republicans polled believe Islam should be illegal.

4) Use events from the Rio Olympics 2016 to examine how sexism remained prevalent in 21st century society.

5) How did notorious celebrity deaths contribute towards worldwide dispiritedness in 2016? Use at least two examples.

The year many of the greats fell. Muhammed Ali, Prince, David Bowie, Alan Rickman, to name but a few.

6) Analyse the rise of veganism in 2016. What were the main motives behind this movement?

Be sure to cite Cowspiracy in your answer.

7) Analyse the victory of Leicester City in the premier league in 2016. What were the key reasons for their success?

Include examples ranging from the 2015-16 season to the awarding of Jamie Vardy’s knighthood.

8) Describe how social media contributed to the canonisation of Harambe the gorilla

Harambe got 11,000 votes in the US election. 11,000 people voted for a dead gorilla to be the next president of the United States.

9) Describe how Britain’s exit from the European Union led to the election of Nigel Farage as Prime Minister

10) Explain how the use of manipulative propaganda enabled political parties to convince UK citizens that Brexit would be an economic success. Use specific examples of falsified claims to illustrate your ideas

When asked by ITV’s Good Morning Britain if he could guarantee that the £350m previously sent to the EU would now go the NHS, Mr Farage said: “No I can’t, I would never have made that claim.”

“That was one of the mistakes made by the Leave campaign.”

11) How did the following contribute towards unfavourable political decisions in 2016? 

i) Non-voters

ii) An ageing population

12) How did Donald Trump and Theresa May’s incessant flirting affect the UK and US’ ‘special relationship’?

13) What do you believe to be the main motivation behind Kanye West’s presidential aspirations? Give examples using direct quotes

“I feel like I’m too busy writing history to read it.” K. West.

“I will go down as the voice of this generation, of this decade, I will be the loudest voice.” K. West

14) Which of the following do you believe to be more responsible for the assassination of Donald Trump:

i) The building of an impenetrable physical wall along the southern border with Mexico.

ii) Trump’s attempts to extradite all of the Muslims from America

iii) His continuous attempts to ‘grab them by the pussy’

iv) All of the above