How will the US Election affect us?

We’re all worried it might

It’s just four days until the US Presidential election, when America will chose a new leader for the next four years, and it’s no surprise that whatever the result, it will be historic.

The final days of the campaign trail, and its a scrap to get those votes in the key battlegrounds between controversial business man Donald Trump (Republican nominee), and politician Hilary Clinton (Democratic nominee).

But let’s get serious, if either nominee wins this election, there will be major shifts in the way of living. For Americans, they could face another major debt crisis with the widening of the economic gap. Also the basic rights of jobs, benefits and safety for minority groups are massively in danger, with the threat of ‘a wall’ being built on the Southern border.

But how will this effect us in the UK?

If the American archetype Donal Trump wins the election this is what will happen. He will repeal Obamacare. He claims his government will build a wall on the Southern border, and turn off the jobs and benefits magnet (i.e, ban the ‘American dream’). For us, this means it will be much harder to visit America. Also, Trump seems to be a potential president who would be more interested in domestic concerns, more than international. On the contrary, after the UK government triggered Brexit, Britain might not be the power player it once was. Trump has always admired Russia’s Vladmir Putin, so we could see the ‘special relationship’ between the UK and US, collapse.

All in all, a Trump presidency is very unknown. More unknown to that of a Clinton one.

If politician Hilary Clinton wins, we can be much surer of a continuity of foreign policy. Hilary Clinton has held political office, and served as Secretary of State for 4 years. So Clinton knows the importance of international relations, and recognising the value of allies. She promises to increase spending on job training, education, infrastructure, and clean energy. She has also backed efforts to raise the US minimum wage, to overhaul the immigration laws, and to boost women’s workforce and access to child care. However, she’s not one in favour of us triggering Brexit, and she is likely to follow the line of President Obama. However, American business holders prefer stability to radical change, and Clinton is the one who would be more likely to reassure them.

In that case, it looks a brighter future for us if Clinton secures offices. The large market for UK exports, would be more secure, and might not be dramatically affected as it might with a more radical Trump approach. Also, a Clinton America would welcome us foreigners and those who want to experience the American dream, where Trump would reject and deport them.