I’m genuinely gutted for you if you didn’t grow up in Belfast

It’s not just because of Kate and Leo

There’s a lot to love about Belfast. The rising city is home to some of the most beautiful architecture and open green spaces including the world-famous ‘Giant’s Causeway’, and a fantastic nightlife with world-class restaurants, pubs and nightclubs. Put simply, it’s underrated and here’s why.

The pubs (and the craic)

Well, I bet you didn’t see this one coming. Belfast is home to the most interesting and exciting pubs you’ll ever go to.

The Duke of York is the first, and last, pub I went to when I lived in Belfast. This traditional pub is located down a cobbled alleyway in Cathedral Quarter and its interior is a sight to behold. Order a drink and try and make it out before you’re grabbed for a chat with students, tourists and locals. In fact, every time I’ve been to this pub I’ve left with a new friend.

Opposite Europa Hotel you’ll find The Crown Liquor Saloon, a traditional pub with an electric atmosphere. With what feels like century old carved-mahogany booths, or ‘snugs’, complete with working bells for service, etched-glass windows, hanging gas lamps rightfully makes it a pinpoint in the city. The Crown Bar really feels like home.

St George’s Market

With live original music, incredible food, handmade crafts, cracking bargains and great company, St George’s Market is everything you need in life. The aisles of the award winning St George’s Market are awash with locals showing off their talents for all things handmade and homemade. Don’t miss this on any trip to Belfast.

The food. Oh god, the food.

Made in Belfast, Deane’s Deli, Chubby Cherub, Avoca, CoCo, Co Coture, Bistro 401… I really could go on. Just trust me when I tell you that Belfast’s food offering is top notch, and developing all the time. The local produce is hard to beat so it’s really no wonder that it’s quickly becoming acknowledged as one of the leading food cities in the world.

Chubby Cherub

Belfast offers everything from fine dining, brasseries and bistros to gastro pubs, cafes and coffee shops and with unique food and drink traditions, famous breads, old-fashioned sweet making, ‘Belfast Brew’, the city offers you an unrivalled food experience.

Tourism you actually want to do

Crumlin Road Gaol dates back to 1845, and closed its doors as a working prison after 150 years in service in 1996, but is now open to visitors. And in just 60 minutes, a hugely knowledgeable guide will take you through the whole prisoner process from checking in to the hanging cell. Everything you could possibly want to know and witness – and some things you probably didn’t – are crammed in to this exhilarating tour.

SS Nomadic, nicknamed ‘Titanic’s little sister’, was designed and built by the same company as Titanic. It’s the last remaining White Star Line ship in the world and has had quite the life; from Parisian disco to hospital ship, a guide will take you back in time to 1912 to experience life onboard the luxurious ships, all built by hand.

SS Nomadic proudly sits opposite Titanic Belfast.

Paddy’s Black Cab Tours are eyeopening. A black cab driver overflowing with knowledge will you take you through Belfast’s fascinating and important history, including the world-famous murals and the infamous wall that still divides the city today.

The Giant’s Causeway is a spectacular natural phenomenon.

The Giant’s Causeway, is not just the setting of numerous Harry Potter scenes, but unofficially named the 8th Wonder of the World, and you can see why. Take a trip along the coastal route via Carrickfergus, Bushmills Distillery and Carick-a-Rede rope bridge for a truly breathtaking day.

Titanic was made here

Titanic Belfast is the world’s largest Titanic visitor experience.

That’s right, the world’s most famous love story had to start somewhere, and long before Kate and Leo ‘flew’ into the hearts of cinema-goers, Belfast was home to the world’s largest and most luxurious ocean liner.

Over one hundred years after the fateful voyage, you can now visit the birthplace of the legend. Walk into the original room where she designed, stand in the exact spot where she was built and then launched in front of a record number of spectators. Descend almost 50 feet in to what was the world’s largest dry dock, and experience in spectacular fashion, ‘Titanic Belfast’, a five-star world-wide visitor experience boasting nine stunning interactive galleries across six floors, taking you from a 1912 shipyard, the design and details of the mighty ship, through the voyage, fateful night and right down to the dark depths of the Atlantic uncovering the legend of Titanic, in the city where it all began. The stunning building, built to the exact dimensions as the ship its named after, is itself a sight to behold. Look out for the glass floor.

Lastly, the people are incredible 

The people of Belfast are unique; they are full of hope and optimism. Hope that Belfast will finally be allowed to move on from its dreary and unfair image. And optimistic because they’re already making it happen. The people in Belfast are shining beacons for the rising city they live in, and the beautiful country they’re a part of. Plus, they’ll be sure to show you a cracking night out

Day by day; the world-class tourism, incredible food, unique offerings, stunning scenery, unbeatable nights-out and the people of Belfast are rebuilding their image. It’s utterly heroic and one day, you’ll be gutted you didn’t live there too.