Manchester students according to the rest of the UK

‘My housemate’s Mancunian and she fucking loves Jezza Corbs’

Manchester definitely has its stereotypes. With its famous music scene, diverse nightlife and massive student population, Manchester is a popular choice for university. But what does the rest of the UK think about the people here? We asked students across the country what their thoughts were.

Spoiler alert: expect to be typecast.

First impression

“They love the Manny life, they’re a bit edgy and always up for a night out” – Deanna, London

“Quite serious and studious, but real partyers who finish a nigh out at 11am” – Emily, Stafford

“Mods, mods, mods” – Scarlett, York

“Edgy and probably full of themselves” – Lucia, Preston

“Students in a poor man’s London” – Ellie, London

“Loads of southerners go uni in Manchester to try the northern lifestyle” – Jessica, Preston

Appearance

“Windbreakers and unbrushed hair” – Jemima, Lancaster

“Kind of edgy and quirky, but people who aren’t afraid to be who they are” – Jordan, Durham

“Kinda standard but probably slightly more eccentric. Living in a big city means less judgement. They love adapting to the Manc scene – that’s why they all wear Pretty Green” – Finn, London

“Just like Noel Gallagher” – Jord, Stoke

“Indie hipsters who always want to be the odd one out” – Jon, Lancaster

“Northface, fag in hand, nose ring, dishevelled clothing” – Dana, London

Political views

“Labour labour labour 10000%” – Alex, Sheffield

“Labour ket heads” – Eliot, Liverpool

“My housemate’s Mancunian and she fucking loves Jezza Corbs” – Dani, Falmouth

“I get the sense that Manchester’s students are very politically aware and are highly engaged with current affairs” – Jess, Sheffield

“Given the extortionate rise in tuition fees by the Tories I would assume students are inclined to support the opposition. I reckon most students in the city are Labour” – Kieran, Crewe

“With Manchester being kinda northern but not quite Newcastle I would say it’s pretty split. You get the Tory, posh, gilet-wearing, boat shoe bellends from down South with a good mixture of Thatcher-hating, cole not dole leftie scumbags from up north.” – Tom, Wolverhampton

Nightlife

“More into indie, disco, funk and the low key nights out that Manchester has to offer – less so the grime and bassline stuff” – Toby, Somerset

“They love heavy nights out. They’re typical northern partygoers and they’re pretty edgy. Just not as edgy as Bristol” – Chris, Bristol

“Bucket hats and beer” – James, Liverpool

“Vape nation” – Ella, London

“How do I say ‘they’re just dickheads’ in a funny way?” – Alex, Liverpool

“A lot of pills, kind of grungy. Similar to Leeds but not as heavy as Newcastle.” – George, Bristol