How your flatmates change after Freshers’ Week

Are you the passive aggressive one?

Fresher’s is over, gone are the nights of bonding in the kitchen of someone else’s flat who you can barely remember the name of, and chances are, that girl you sat next to in the welcome lecture? Yeah, she wont even catch your eye now. But how about your flat? After the first few awkward weeks of politely getting to know each other you’ll all be a bit more comfortable around each other and able to show your true self.

The besties

These two were probably the first to move in. They made friends while divvying up cupboards and haven’t been separated since.They’ll constantly be inviting you to join them on nights out but you know they don’t really mean it. Eventually they’ll get sick of each other (hopefully before they’ve put a deposit down on their second year house), and have a big falling out which somehow involves everyone in the flat and makes it really uncomfortable for a few weeks, before finding their own groups.

The awkward couple

After a few drunken snogs in fresher’s week, one of them inevitably falls in love with the other and spends the entirety of first year drunk crying every time their beau stands within a foot of someone else. At first you feel sorry for them , but it gets old quickly, especially after the 15th time they’ve broken up, and then slept together immediately after. It’s a bit awkward for the rest of you sometimes, but mostly it’s just entertaining.

The one who always cleans A.K.A. the passive aggressive one

Clean up your mess

The washing up is piled in the sink. The bins need to be taken out. There are cups of coffee slowly turning into penicillin and the cleaner comes tomorrow. They bombard the group chat with passive aggressive messages but always end up being the one to clean up anyway. You used their cheese grater once and forgot to wash it up and they still haven’t forgiven you.

The one you never see

Who is behind the elusive bedroom door?

You actually haven’t seen them properly since fresher’s week. You don’t even remember what they look like. On the odd occasion they do make it into the kitchen it’s a huge deal, you all marvel at the rare creature and it’s talked about for weeks afterwards. Maybe they’re just shy, or maybe they have enough friends already and think you’re all lame. Either way you’re not that bothered and won’t see them again after first year.

The one who’s a bit weird

They come and go at weird hours of the night, their meals mostly consist of foods you’ve never heard of and they like to stand around in your room for uncomfortably long periods of time, usually touching all your things. They’re always the first one to get too drunk at pres and start saying weird (and probably offensive) things. You’re not quite sure if it’s an act or if they actually are just that strange, but at least it makes things a bit more interesting, even if they do get a bit much sometimes.

The sporty one

They’re always out, training, socials, hanging out with other beautiful bodied sporty types. They make you feel bad because all you ever do is sit around in your pyjamas but at least they know where to go if they ever want a huge pizaa pig-out. They’ve got a million friends from whatever sport they do, who are usually all really fit so you don’t mind that they’re always over, especially if they’re wearing lycra.