Possessions of the homeless were thrown away for Kate and William’s visit

Tents and sleeping bags were binned to make way for the royals

The police and the council are denying allegations that they were binning homeless peoples possessions in order to create a “royal clean up” for the arrival of Kate and William.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, arrived in Manchester on Friday the 14th of October in order to visit the Graphene institute. Hundreds turned out for their visit, but at what expense?

Reports have emerged that many saw council workers and police officers clearing the streets of homeless people’s possessions prior to the visit. Many saw this as an attempt to clean up the streets for the royals arrival.

However the council and the police deny this claim, stating the removal of these items was actually done due to complaints from businesses.

But for many this seems too much of a coincidence.

One woman told the MEN, ”I was walking along Deansgate around half ten and saw a police van and a male and female officer dismantle a tent and then throw it into the back of a police van. They were just binning it. The van was three quarters full of stuff, like sleeping bags and other bits and pieces. Where are the owners of those belongings going to sleep when all of their worldly possessions are being thrown into the back of the van?

“I carried on walking and thought it was outrageous so I turned round to go back and actually ask them that question, where would they sleep? But they had already left. Then I realised it was the day of the Royal visit and it was all done for a visit from William and Kate. I think it’s disgusting.”

But such claims where again denied, and Executive Member for Neighbourhoods, Councillor Nigel Murphy told the MEN, “Our officers are in the city centre on a daily basis, working hard to keep the streets clean. Where unattended items are left on the ground, they will be disposed of as a matter of course. This is entirely unrelated to any events taking place in the city centre.”

It is still unknown if this just a coincidence, or a form of social cleansing to prepare the city for the royal arrival.