Why you should cycle instead of getting the Magic Bus

Ditch the bus pass

Manchester could have more bicycles than Beijing.

Freshers week is upon us and the madness has begun. This is the time of year that students are overloaded with information and persuaded that they NEED to buy a new gym membership or a bus pass.

However, this is the year to GO DUTCH, ditch the bus pass and buy yourself a bike. Here are some reasons to follow this sound advice:

Save £220 by not buying a bus pass each year

You will save yourself valuable pennies by not buying a bus pass each year. And who doesn’t need more money to donate to charity, feed the homeless etc etc

Save 90 hours per year by avoiding the curry mile traffic

Picture yourself sitting on a stuffy, overcrowded magic bus, in the middle of the Curry Mile with taxis attempting u-turns and endless traffic ahead.

Now picture yourself breezing past this traffic on your bike in the fresh air. You even have your own lights that allow you to go ahead of all the cars and buses!

Burn 32,400 extra calories per year by cycling in to university each day

This is assuming that everyone goes into uni and back five days a week. Obviously calories burned has some link to university attendance here.

Save the environment

As we all know the icebergs are melting, the polar bears are in danger and we need to cut down on fossil fuels.

Therefore by cycling to uni you are doing your bit for our beautiful planet.

Don’t underestimate the difference you can make!

Get fitter

Make exercise part of your daily routine and you don’t even notice that you are getting fitter and fitter each day.

You will have that beach body by May this year!

Use the new Oxford Road cycle lanes

What better time to start cycling than when the council have just built new cycle lanes for us all to use?

This creates a clearer and safer route for cyclists to whizz through or pedal through at their own leisure.

It’s fun

Cycling into uni is my favourite part of the day. I turn up at uni feeling fresh, energised and ready for the day ahead. So don’t miss out on the fun.

If you can’t ride a bike or it has been a while, then sign up to our FREE learn to ride and road rider ready sessions at http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/better-by-cycle-3612440303.

Bike maintenance sessions also available.