Manchester in top 100 in Times global rankings

Up one place from last year

Manchester University has come in the top 100 according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.

The rankings, released today sees Manchester come 55th in the world, up from last year where it was ranked 56th.

Singapore’s Nanyang Technological University came one place ahead of Manchester in 54th, with America’s University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill coming in behind at 56th. 

Three British universities came in the top ten in this years ranking, Oxford University came top of the table Cambridge was in fourth, with Imperial coming in at eighth. Seven of the ten-best universities were from America, with the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology of  Zurich being the only other European university to make the top ten. 

The rankings rate universities on five key indicators: the learning environment, the volume, income and reputation of the institution’s research as well as the how influential its research is through the number of citations.

It also looks at how well knowledge is transferred into industry and evaluates its ‘international outlook’ through staff, students and research.