One in 30 Manchester students are victims of sexual and violent offences

Piccadilly Gardens is the fifth worst crime spot in the country

One in 30 students at Manchester University will be victim of violent and sexual crime, according to new statistics.

The Complete University Guide took the number of crimes reported from July 2015 to June 2016 per one thousand residents within student areas. These crimes include burglary, robbery and violence and sexual offences.

They found that the University of Manchester had a total score of five per cent for all crimes reported. Over three per cent of people are likely to be a victim of violence and sexual offences, whilst burglary and robbery rates are over two per cent.

Manchester students are one percent more likely to be victims of sexual and violent crimes than Manchester Met. Last year Piccadilly Gardens was reported as the fifth worst crime spot in the country, with two men being charged for raping an 18-year-old only two months ago.

These statistics are based on all residents and not just students, the results are taken within wards or electoral divisions weighted by student population.