Cat Cafe Manchester targeted in suspected arson attack

It happened this morning

Owners believe the arson was a deliberate attack on Cat Cafe Manchester.

The arson attack took place in the early hours of this morning as police and firefighters were called to the Northern Quarter cafe.

According to sisters Ellie and Sarah Close, who run the cafe, at 1.50am someone attempted to break their reception window before starting a fire outside. All 11 of the kitties were unharmed in the attack.

On their Facebook page, Cat Cafe Manchester posted: “We are really saddened by the recent attack on Cat Cafe. We just want to make you all aware that no cats or staff were injured by the incident.

“We are still open for business whilst the repairs to our reception take place.

“We will not let this act of hate deter us and will continue to try and make the world a happier place one cat cuddle at a time.”

The sisters believe the fire to be a deliberate attack on their cat cafe which opened its doors last month.

Speaking to MEN, Ellie said: “The cats are all fine, they were in a completely different room but we’re getting them all vet checked just in case. It could have been so much worse. It’s not just us, there’s a block of flats above us as well.

“At the end of the day the cats are the most important thing to me and if they are in danger it makes me not want to do it any more.”

Police are investigating it as a suspected arson attack.