Three 12-year-olds hospitalised after taking ecstasy

They took the ‘teddy tablets’ on Saturday night

The three girls from Salford are in hospital in a serious condition after taking ecstasy pills.

A 26-year-old woman was approached by two of the young girls on Liverpool Street on Saturday night.

She tried to get them a drink of water but they ran away.

Salford, where the incident took pace

She told the Manchester Evening News: “Two of the girls approached me and they asked for a cigarette. One of them was a grey colour in the face. Her eyes were rolling and she was shaking her arm. It was awful. Her jaw was swinging and her eyes were rolling. She was in a very bad way. They were not in the correct state of mind.

“I tried to help them and said I would get them some water. I offered to help them but they ran away. When I heard the news I felt awful and I got very upset. They kept saying that I was the police and saying that I would phone the police. They told me that they had taken something called ‘teddy bear tablets’.”

The three girls allegedly took three pills each, although this has not been confirmed by the police.

These are not the ‘teddy tablets’ that the girls claim to have taken

Det Chief Insp Chris Walker said: “Sadly, three more young people, who are only 12-years-old, have taken ecstasy and ended up in hospital.

“The girls took a type of ecstasy described as ‘Teddy Tablets.’ It is imperative young people understand the implications and avoid taking drugs, to stop any more young people ending up in hospital. Over the past few months we have had the death of a 17-year-old girl and the hospitalisation of three young people, all after taking a variation of ecstasy.

“We will continue to repeat our warnings in the hope that young people will think twice before taking drugs after seeing the damage they cause to lives. People taking these drugs don’t know what they contain or what effect they will have. It’s not worth the risk of ending up in hospital or even suffering fatal consequences.

“If anyone is in possession of these tablets, or other drugs, I would urge you to hand in to police, a chemist, or other medical practitioner immediately. Police will now be investigating how the girls got hold of these class A drugs and who supplied them.

“Let this be a warning to anyone supplying Class A drugs to young people, and in this case children, you are ruining lives. We will catch you and the full force of the law will be brought down on you.”