There is a scam email being sent to UoM students

It’s asking for bank details

This morning, a number of University of Manchester students received an email saying they are entitled to a grant due to additional funding from the government.

After contacting the University, The Tab can confirm that it is a scam.

The official-looking email address – “[email protected]” – was cloned and did not come from the university.

This is the email in question

The email in question

IT services at the University of Manchester told The Tab: “Do not enter any details until you are sure that the source of the email is legitimate.

“You have to always protect yourselves, you can’t be sure the university is protecting you.

“If you think you have been scammed, go to your bank and cancel your card as soon you as you can.”

The email has been reported to IT services, so the email will not be sent to any further students.

However, for those of you who have already received the email, ignore it and do not enter any bank details.

The official logo and font make it seem real

Second year mathematician, Miran, has already fallen victim to the scam. He told us: “It had an email address that looked like it was part of the uni website.

“But they asked for my security code on the back of my card so I did think afterwards it was a bit dodgy, I’m gonna cancel my card now to stop any payment being taken.”

If you have any further scam emails sent to you, they should be reported to IT services at the University of Manchester.