Uber driver suspended after harassing passenger on the way to Manchester Arena

He told her he ‘liked having sex with people’

An Uber driver in Manchester has been suspended after allegedly pestering a passenger repeatedly whilst dropping her at the Manchester Arena.

Vicki Trigg, a 24 year old from Manchester, left her taxi terrified on Friday after the driver told her he had been “waiting for her”after dropping her at the venue earlier that evening.

Vicki said she felt “extremely uncomfortable” as the driver made inappropriate comments and badgered her to go out with him, despite telling her he was married. She said he repeatedly asked if she would be his friend and said he would “pester” her until she agreed.

Vicki says he took her phone out of her hand and called his own number, insisting on picking her up after the show. Before she even left the arena she was badgered with messages from him insisting that he pick her up and take her back to her car three miles away.

When they arrived to her car Vicki says the driver stopped the taxi and turned off the engine before offering her cigarettes. The driver then allegedly went on to tell her she need not pay the fare and that she could “pay him back” if they went out together.

Vicki swiftly left the taxi, blocking the drivers number and immediately reported him to Uber. The company have suspended him whilst they investigate the “serious incident”.

Vicki commented: “I’m a really outgoing person, I’ll talk with anyone. But this was odd. He was implying all sorts. He was going into a lot of detail about his personal life. He said he liked having sex with people.

“He asked me if I had a boyfriend, and when I said I did, he said I shouldn’t be tied down to one person as I was too young.

“He was laughing to himself. I was getting really scared. I felt like he wanted to be friends – but then something more.

“I was trying to be polite, but he wouldn’t leave it. It was so dodgy. His behaviour was inappropriate. It was my first and last Uber experience.”

When Vicki contacted them, Uber bosses told her: “Your driver’s behaviour does not sound at all like the service you or I would expect.

“Your safety is our highest priority, so there is no room for this kind of behaviour on the Uber platform.”

Vicki also reported the incident to the police, who said that no crime had been committed but urged others who have concerns with taxi drivers to contact them.